I was looking through my latest issue and started drooling when I saw their burlap sack advent calendar. Then, I started crying when I saw the price......... just kidding! But, there was no way I was going to make it mine at the price of $99.00.
So, I looked it up online and then decided I could make it myself.
I bought a set of these small burlap gift bags on line at Bridesvillage.com. They came 24 per pack. The pottery barn version has 25. But, I don't see myself moving santa to the 25 Christmas morning, so a coutdown to Christmas Eve was fine with me.
I found a code on retailmenot.com for 10% off. The code is preferred. So my total including shipping was $19.05.
I bought a black paint marker at Hobby Lobby for under $5.00.
Then I wrote the numbers on the bags in the same style as the Pottery Barn Version. I liked the way it looked with different styles, but you can make them however you'd like.
I cut the handles off.
I bought this burlap like fabric at a yard sale. (Hobby Lobby sells burlap though). The one I used was a bit thicker and it was scraps left over from an old air plane that they used for the walls. He told me I could take as much as I wanted for $1.00. I am sorry I didn't take more than 2 sheets.
I used Heat and Bond to hem the raw edges that I already had from another project.
I made a rope hanger for the top using some twine I already had. I just tucked in under the flap while I was sealing the heat and bond.
So it looked liked this before I put the numbers on.
UPDATE- I am not really sure why I decided to put velcro on them. I didn't ever plan to remove them. After hanging it up, a few bags fell off. I am going to hot glue them to the back. I should of done that before and saved $6.00 :)
I attached the numbers with double sided velcro. I bought 2 packs at Hobby Lobby. Total price- $6.00
Make sure you attach them toward the top so they don't sag.
I bought the Santa stuffed ornament at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 (50% off sale)
I am not sure where I want to hang it yet. I think I am going to put it behind the front door attached with suction cups since we have 2 glass squares on top of the door.
Total cost was a little less than $35 since I already owned the Heat and Bond and twine.
I have a few more projects I am working on, so make sure you visit again soon :O)