Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pottery Barn Burlap Sack Advent Calendar- DIY

I when I open my mail box and see the Pottery Barn catalog I always run back inside and can't wait to check it out. The have great decor ideas and it is usually really easy to copy the look.

I was looking through my latest issue and started drooling when I saw their
burlap sack advent calendar. Then, I started crying when I saw the price......... just kidding! But, there was no way I was going to make it mine at the price of $99.00.


So, I looked it up online and then decided I could make it myself.



I bought a set of these small burlap gift bags on line at Bridesvillage.com. They came 24 per pack. The pottery barn version has 25. But, I don't see myself moving santa to the 25 Christmas morning, so a coutdown to Christmas Eve was fine with me.

I found a code on retailmenot.com for 10% off. The code is preferred. So my total including shipping was $19.05.

I bought a black paint marker at Hobby Lobby for under $5.00.



Then I wrote the numbers on the bags in the same style as the Pottery Barn Version. I liked the way it looked with different styles, but you can make them however you'd like.

I cut the handles off.



I bought this burlap like fabric at a yard sale. (Hobby Lobby sells burlap though). The one I used was a bit thicker and it was scraps left over from an old air plane that they used for the walls. He told me I could take as much as I wanted for $1.00. I am sorry I didn't take more than 2 sheets.



I used Heat and Bond to hem the raw edges that I already had from another project.



I made a rope hanger for the top using some twine I already had. I just tucked in under the flap while I was sealing the heat and bond.



So it looked liked this before I put the numbers on.

UPDATE- I am not really sure why I decided to put velcro on them. I didn't ever plan to remove them. After hanging it up, a few bags fell off. I am going to hot glue them to the back. I should of done that before and saved $6.00 :)

I attached the numbers with double sided velcro. I bought 2 packs at Hobby Lobby. Total price- $6.00

Make sure you attach them toward the top so they don't sag.



I bought the Santa stuffed ornament at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 (50% off sale)



All Done!


I am not sure where I want to hang it yet. I think I am going to put it behind the front door attached with suction cups since we have 2 glass squares on top of the door.

Total cost was a little less than $35 since I already owned the Heat and Bond and twine.

I have a few more projects I am working on, so make sure you visit again soon :O)

XO,

8 comments:

Lettered Cottage said...

SOOOOOPER cute! Holy cow!
Love, love, love it. Way to rock that replica!!!

Layla :-)

Grammie Linda said...

That is adorable, such a great job..Don't forget the Elf. (wink wink)

Katie Bower said...

Great job girl...thanks for sharing! You know how much I love crafts...especially PB knockoff crafts :)
xo - kb

Blondie's Journal said...

Very clever and cute, Kelly!

XO,
Jane

julie said...

so cute, great job. wanna make me one too? ;)

Danielle said...

I LOVE THIS! I saw the same thing in the PB catalog! I want to make one!

Corin said...

That's so cute! You did a great PB knock-off!

Nikki said...

Thanks for the PB knockoff!